Introducing Quebec’s first ever Noise-Induced Hearing Loss Awareness and Prevention program: HEAR-ENTENDRE
What can you do?
Our HEAR-ENTENDRE program on Breakfast Television!
Our HEAR-ENTENDRE program on Global News!
What is Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)?
From Health Canada: Noise-induced hearing loss is caused by overexposure to loud sounds. In some cases, the damage is only temporary. But repeated exposure to excessive noise for long periods of time can cause permanent damage. So can a single exposure to an intense sound close to the ear.
According to the World Health Organization, approximately 1.1 billion teenagers and young adults are at risk of hearing loss because of unsafe use of personal audio devices and exposure to high-intensity sounds in recreational settings. NIHL can affect language acquisition, academic functioning, social skills, professional opportunities, and mental health.
The damage is permanent, but prevention is possible!
DID YOU KNOW…
- 60% of childhood hearing loss is preventable.
- 1.1 billion young people aged 12-35 are at risk of hearing loss due to noise exposure in recreational settings.
- 50% of people aged 12-35 listen to personal audio devices at unsafe volumes.
- 40% of people aged 12-35 are exposed to damaging levels of sound at sporting events, nightclubs, and bars.
The HEAR-ENTENDRE Program
HEAR-ENTENDRE, the only bilingual program of its kind in Quebec, aims to promote awareness about Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) through fun, interactive workshops. Participants learn about sound, the ear, causes and consequences of NIHL — and most importantly, how to prevent it by staying safe in noisy environments.
HEAR-ENTENDRE presentations come in two models:
- Recreational — perfect for day camps, gym classes, and after-school programs.
- Educational — perfect for classroom settings, this model is based on The Hearing Foundation of Canada’s enormously successful Sound Sense program.
CHIP is also working hard to bring HEAR-ENTENDRE to young adults and seniors as part of our Outreach program.
Book HEAR-ENTENDRE for your school or camp today!
“Very informative and fun!”
– Animator, YMCA NDG Day Camp
“Great presentation! The kids were engaged, learned new things and had lots of fun!
– Animator, YMCA Pointe-Saint Charles Day Camp